Sinn 158 Traditional Bicompax Pilot Chronograph
Sinn’s limited edition 158 model is a nod to the heritage of instrument chronographs.
The original version of this watch produced in the 1960s was known by Bundeswehr – German armed forces – as the wristwatch with double stopwatch. It was sold in very limited quantities during the 1980s and early 1990s, is now one of the most sought-after collector’s watches by Sinn.
A little history that makes the 158 so special
Company founder, Helmut Sinn, purchased phased-out inventories of the Bundeswehr (Heuer-Leonidas SA 1550 SG, shortened to Heuer 1550 SG) and, after reconditioning them and adding SINN lettering on the dial under the label ‘Bundeswehr
Chronograph for Pilots’, sold them as model 155 Bw. These impressive pilot watches were fitted with a Valjoux 230 hand-wound chronograph movement and a pilot’s bezel.
Remaking a legend
The design of the limited edition 158 Traditional Bicompax Pilot Chronograph retains many features of its predecessor including:
– the bead-blasted case with a diameter of 43 mm,
– the high-domed acrylic glass, a black,
– easy-to-use pilot’s bezel manufactured from anodised aluminium and
– a large, functional & comfortable winding crown.
For the movement, Sinn has placed its trust in the modern, automatic-calibre SW 510 from the Swiss manufacturer Sellita. This enables a horizontal bicompax division and central stopwatch-second display, true to the historic model, with the seconds display at 9 o’clock
and the stopwatch minute display at 3 o’clock. This movement also offers a date display at 6 o’clock.
Enhanced readability is delivered by the brilliant red stopwatch seconds and minutes hands and the generous luminosity of the numerals, hour & minute hands which deliver optimal legibility in extremely dark environments.
The 158 is resistant to low pressure at high altitudes and can withstand pressures of up to 10 bar (100m).
A total of 500 pieces of the158 Traditional Bicompax Pilot Chronograph are being produced, each with an engraved limited-edition marking on the case back. Be sure to secure a future treasure before they fly away again.
Model 158 Traditional Bicompax Pilot Chronograph at a glance
Limited to 500 pieces
Case made of stainless steel, bead-blasted
Shock-resistance acrylic glass
Pressure-resistant up to 10 bar
Resistant to low pressure
- SW 510
- Self-winding mechanism
- 27 bearing jewels
- 28,800 semi-oscillations per hour
- Seconds stop function
- Anti-magnetic as per DIN 8309
- Case made of stainless steel, bead-blasted
- Shock-resistance acrylic glass
- Case back screw-fastened
- Meet the technical requirements for waterproofness, as set out in standard DIN 8310
- Pressure-resistant up to 10 bar
- Low pressure resistant
- Hours, minutes, subsidiary seconds
- Pilot’s bezel with minute scale
Measurements & Weight
- Case diameter: 43 mm
- Band lug width: 20 mm
- Case thickness: 15.15 mm
- Weight without strap: 80 grams
Dial & Hands
- Matte black dial
- Numbers coated with luminescent colour
- Hour hand, minute hand coated with luminescent colour
- 2 years